Table of Contents
Do you know that 56 million Indians suffer from depression and India has one of the highest populations of people with mental illness? According to World Health Organization India has a massive shortage of psychiatrists. The study states that there are only three psychiatrists for every 1,00,000 people. But thanks to our ancient ayurvedism, finding depression treatment in Ayurveda not only helps to cure the body issues but also cure mental illness or disorders.
About Ayurveda or Ayurvedic Treatment
Before we jump directly to know about the depression treatment in Ayurveda let me first help you with the fact why we should go for ayurvedic treatment for any kind of disease. Ayurveda is the traditional system of healing. It was established in India 3000 years ago. Ayurveda not only deals with the issues of the body but also helps people to deal with their mental illnesses like depression, anxiety, and so on.
What is Depression?
You know what having fear, being restless, and having stress due to some reason is fine but when it starts shattering your life both personal and official then the actual problem begins.
As per Ayurvedists, there are three kinds of depression, aligning to three different dosha excesses in the body, Vata, Pitta, and Kapha. Depending on the condition, ayurvedists diagnose the dosha and provide them with the treatment accordingly.
Types of Depression and its Treatment
1. Vata- Type Depression: Vata- Type depression is characterized by fear and anxiety, Insomnia, restlessness, unpredictable mood swings, and so on. This kind of person might have some past emotional breakdown and is often overloaded with stress. But we have vata depression treatment in Ayurveda. Ayurvedists say that a balanced lifestyle helps to deal with vata-type depression.
Treatment to Cure Vata- Type Depression:
- Do yoga daily for at least 20-30 minutes. Along with yoga, I also meditate for 10-15 minutes.
- Try to connect yourself with nature and feel its beauty so that no toxic or annoying thoughts come into your mind.
- It is advisable to consume warm nutritious meals like soup, khichdi, and vegetables. Avoid processed or non-vegetarian meals as much as you can.
- Drink 3-4 cups of basil tea every day and also include other spices in your diet like ginger and cardamom.
- The Ayurvedic herb Jatamansi helps to cure insomnia and other sleeping disorders due to its anti-depressant properties. Consuming Jatamansi in the proportion of 450- 1000 mg daily helps to cure anxiety and provides you with better sleep.
- Ashwagandha also has mind-relieving properties. Due to the presence of active compounds like steroidal lactones, saponins, alkaloids, and withanolides, ashwagandha also has anti-depressant properties.
- Do a head massage daily with warming oil and also apply a few drops of essential oil like lavender and sunflower before bed for better sleep.
2. Pitta-Type Depression: Pitta- Type depression is considered the most dangerous depression among the three depressions. It is characterized by aggression, anger, frustration, suicidal thoughts, and a sense of failure. It is caused due to different reasons like losing a job or losing someone special, divorce, and so on. The person facing this kind of depression tends to harm themselves and sometimes they commit suicide too. But as Vata, pitta depression treatment in Ayurveda is also possible. Ayurvedists suggest that Pitta-Type depression can be cured by following the principle of cooling or soothing.
Treatment to Cure Pitta-Type Depression:
- Incorporate relaxing activities in your life. Make the habit of doing yoga, exercise, or meditation daily.
- Walk across the beaches for at least 40-60 minutes per day for a cooling effect.
- Adding cooling sources of food to your diet like oats, beans, salad, and fresh fruits.
- Avoid hot and spicy food, which imbalances pitta.
- Ginkgo herbs work as a wonder for those people who are suffering from pitta depression. Consuming Ginkgo tea twice a day helps to cure pitta.
- Fragrances of rose and lavender also help to cure pitta.
- The Ayurvedic herb Arjuna also helps to control emotions and it seems to have an emotionally soothing effect.
3. Kapha-Type Depression: This type of depression originated when there is an imbalance in one’s diet and lifestyle. It is characterized by feeling dull, weight gain, sluggishness, and so on. Excessive sleep and laziness cause Kapha-type depression. It is noticed that people suffering from Kapha are obese and very in- disciplined with their diet. Kapha depression treatment in Ayurveda is done by changing one’s lifestyle.
Treatment to Cure Kapha- Type Depression
- Do at least 30 minutes of cardio daily or engage yourself in other outdoor activities.
- Instead of processed food, incorporate healthy and fresh fruits and vegetables into your diet.
- Eat warm and spicy foods instead of cool foods.
- Consider fresh vegetable and fruits drink to detoxify your body.
- Ashwagandha is very helpful to cure Kapha due to its heating and strengthening nature.
- Consume dulse and wakame three times per week to boost your metabolism rate.
- Include cardamom in your diet to cure depression.
We really hope that now you get the idea about Ayurveda and its treatment.