Table of Contents
In today’s market, most walkie-talkies are poorly made and have a very limited range. These poorly designed units can also be affected by obstructions such as buildings, topography, forests, and other terrain characteristics. As a result, the best walkie-talkies have a powerful signal that can allow them to operate clearly even when the conditions are less than ideal.
The emergency response teams rely on these units for reliable, clear communication. Our focus here is only on those types of units.
Although it’s hard to locate a genuine long range walkie talkie out there, we’ve managed to locate eight for your consideration. Remember that these are the opinions expressed by our review panel. It is possible for your opinion to differ.
Long-range Motorola walkie talkie MH230R
Communication is crystal clear over hills and valleys for a range of 23 miles with the Motorola MH230R. The MH230R does a better job than most of its competitors at keeping its promise despite the variance in distance. Getting long-range communications without being on the Bonneville Salt Flats is possible anyway. In short-range situations like malls and amusement parks, it performs equally well as a lesser walkie-talkie.
With its outstanding long-range performance and exceptional clarity over long distances, the Motorola MH230R is one of the best walkie talkies on the market. In addition to bringing a compass, you should bring at least one pair of these with you when you go camping or backpacking, so nobody gets lost. Take plenty of alkaline backup batteries for your long weekend getaway, and you’ll be fine.
|As a brand||Motorola Solutions|
|How many channels are available||22|
|Count of batteries||2 Lithium ion batteries required. (included)|
|Dimensions of the item: length x width x height||2.14 x 1.15 x 6.21 inches|
|Weight of item||1.3 Pounds|
|Life of the battery||8 Hours|
What is a About
- Rechargeable or alkaline batteries with a 10hour battery life
- 7 NOAA channels (7 weather alerts)
- Superior interference protection with 22 channels each with 121 privacy codes
- An internet-based two-way radio with a 23-mile range
- The package includes two radios, two belt clips, one dual drop-in charger, one charging adaptor, and two NiMH rechargeable battery packs.
- Both handsome and effective
- Easily understandable controls
- Volume exceeding expectations
- Designed for maximum lightness
- Even under bad conditions, the range was excellent
- Batteries don’t last very long
- In cold weather, performance may suffer
Long range submersible walkie talkie by Uniden
Although the Uniden Submersible walkie talkie has outstanding range that you will be able to use even when conditions are less than ideal, 50 miles may be pushing it. The mileage you get out of poorly designed units is less than 25 miles in open country. Uniden’s Submersible is a beautiful and well-designed unit with clear readouts.
Sometimes, this unit’s range was 20+ miles; other times, particularly in cities, it was no more than a mile. It is overall a very simple walkie talkie to use. These units will pop right back up once submerged, and their buttons are clearly marked and easy to use. Even without considering submersibility or range, these are excellent deals. You can find more great products like this on our list of the best emergency radios.
- It’s possible to travel more than 10 miles in bad weather
- Is a floating object
- An unexpected benefit is the strobe light for emergencies
- Deliveries over 50 miles won’t be made
- Not too loud